Desert Island books

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Fri Jan 14 16:31:57 EST 2005

On Friday 14 January 2005 20:58, Anna Z Skarzynska wrote:

> We choose 8 books, then we choose just one of them (like with the
> records on the show). Piece of music and luxury (which cannot be a
> book) are optional. Shakespeare and the Bible are provided, but can
> be optionally exchanged for two additional essential pieces of music.

I want Shakespeare and the Bible all right (though I wouldn't mind
exchanging Shakespeare for Vondel, his Dutch equivalent).

1. Diana Wynne Jones, Fire and Hemlock (haven't explored all of its
nuances)
2. DWJ, Deep Secret (ditto)
3. Caroline Stevermer, When the King Comes Home
4. Dorothy Sayers, Gaudy Night (or Have His Carcase)
5. Pamela Dean, Tam Lin
6. Gerrit Komrij, (his anthology of Dutch poetry from the 12th to the
20th centuries). Though he's very selective (for instance tries to
avoid anything that's even faintly religious, and strongly favours gay
authors/themes) it's the most exhaustive collection of Dutch poetry
available and I might learn some of it by heart.
7. Anything by Erich Kaestner (in German), preferably one of his
children's books but Der kleine Grenzverkehr will do at a pinch.
8. Katherine Blake (that's Dorothy Heydt really), The Interior Life. Not
only as a guilty pleasure but also to remind me of the real world.

If I get to keep only one of those, it's a toss-up between the two DWJs
and the poetry anthology.

Luxury: I go with whoever it was and want a hot shower.

Music: if I can have Gesualdo's complete madrigals and not just one
piece, I want that; otherwise, Bach's St.John's Passion. (And nobody is
going to keep me from singing!)

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 05-Jan-2005