Off-topic request for opinion from all you literary types

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Jan 14 10:57:14 EST 2005

On Tuesday, January 11, 2005, at 02:49 PM, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> How many words do you have for different sorts of rain?  I haven't ever
> counted, but words like drizzle and mizzle and smur and spitting rain
> are
> all over the English language, it seems like.  To say nothing of
> tempest
> and downpour and drenching!

Speaking as someone who lives on the Left Side of the pond and who
grew up in a wet climate and whose native language is English, what is
'smur'?

[Now I live in a much drier climate [SW CO] and I _love_ it, even if
  my skin is way too dry.]

- It doesn't make any difference what you do in the
   bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street
   and frighten the horses.

                                    -- Mrs. Patrick Campbell