Desert Island books

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Fri Jan 14 07:14:04 EST 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 07:56:25AM -0000, Charles Butler wrote:

>In the Radio 4 original, it's 8 pieces of music plus one book and one
>luxury. In this version I guess it would be 8 books (plus one piece of
>music?).

Gosh, this is going to be difficult. But I have lots of other things I
should be doing right now, so it's an ideal time...

Not in any particular order. Not even necessarily my favourite books,
but books I like to go back to and reread often.

1. _The Seven Towers_, Pat Wrede. Not quite sure why this one in
particular, but it was the first of hers I read and I still enjoy it
hugely.

2+3. _Hexwood_ and _Fire and Hemlock_, DWJ. Because there's lots in
them and I know I haven't found it all yet; and because it all fits
together beautifully, like a puzzle-box. (And because I used to play
the cello.)

4. _The Lord of the Rings_, JRRT. Not as _dense_ as some of the others
but still a fair amount to get lost in.

5+6. _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_ and _Starship Troopers_, Heinlein.
Good solid stuff, and good memories associated with them.

7. _Definitive Edition of Kipling's Verse_. Even the ephemera can be
very fine.

8. _The Element of Fire_, Martha Wells. I love this; shades of
Edgerton, Elizabethan magic, and all sorts of good stuff. (Someone
seems to have walked off with my copy. Bah.) I read _City of Bones_
expecting something as good but, apparently unlikely the entire rest of
the world, didn't rate it at all...