Recommendation request

Wed Jan 12 12:36:34 EST 2005

I need some help finding books for Jacob to read when he comes home from
work.  He's working really late hours and comes home all zombified and
unable to deal with anything complicated.  So what he wants are light,
fluffy romance novels with good characterization.  Hence the need for
Georgette Heyer--but he's read all of ours, I have more than the library
does, and I can't spend any money on books or anything else this month.
(Also, he reads fast enough that I cannot wait for a shipment of anything.)
So the library it must be.

For specifics:
1. I need books that I could reasonably find at a U.S. public library.
2. Something more substantial than Harlequin et al.
3. Something non-serious...not actually ha-ha laugh out loud, but not dark
and dramatic.
4. Good, realistic, human characters.

I got him started on Julie Garwood's _The Wedding_ last night...what a
blessing that I actually bought it!  He loves it--kept me awake with his
laughter.  I know I can find a lot of her stuff, but if anyone is a fan and
can direct me to more of her books like that one (I know she writes
different types of romance) that would save me some time.  He loves Meg
Cabot's adult novels, also the Bridget Jones books (I will be getting
_Olivia Joules_ too).  I know he would like Marion Chesney, but our library
has gotten rid of almost everything of hers they own, so when I have book
money again I will probably start collecting those.

Alternatively, if you can think of any good humorous fiction--again, the key
words are Light and Fluffy--that isn't Terry Pratchett (because yes, I do
own all the Discworld books), that would satisfy him as well.

This is an urgent plea for help.  He is driving me crazy.  Plus, he really
needs the mental break.  If I had a big stack of suitable books on hand, it
would be...there are no words in the English language to express the kind of
relief I would feel.

Melissa Proffitt
(who will have to pay substantial fines just to check things out, stupid
kids losing stupid books--or stupid mom letting stupid kids check stupid
books out on her stupid card)