MZB (was Re: Book Meme)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jan 11 18:09:32 EST 2005

> I think MZB had a particularly jaundiced view of both men and women.  When
> I first read her Darkover books (more or less as they were appearing in
> this country) I was disgusted by her view that the competent women who were
> part of the crew of the ship that crashed -- co-equal with the male
> crewmembers -- would within two generations have managed to become the
> frankly hopeless slaves she then portrayed.  The idea that mothers would
> not be able to give support to their daughters, and prevent the enslavement
> of their entire sex, particularly given that these were meant to be
> first-class women with brains and ability in every field, seemed to me to
> be possibly the most contra-feminist guff I had encountered among
> contemporary writers.

Having read her Amazon books, I suspect that the mental model this came
out of wasn't really a co-equal one, that the society she envisioned
gave lip service to female equality but still had more social
roleplaying in it than the 'modern' society of the 2000s.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year, Give me a light
that I might go safely out into the darkness. And he replied, Go out
into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be
more to you than a light, and safer than a known way." --M. L. Haskins