Off-topic request for opinion from all you literary types

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 11 18:02:36 EST 2005

1. In the first line of the second stanza, the poem refers to
"equinoctial tears". Please give a synonym for "equinoctial" which you
think could be appropriate for the poem.

I agree with a lot of the interpretations offered, but I have a nuance
to add. That is, to me the equinox symbolises balance between light and
dark, day and night; this could also be viewed as holding things in
balance which are in opposition. So I would suggest an interpretation of
the word as implying balanced (as opposed to say, overly emotional), or
perhaps timely tears (appropriate to the season), or even bittersweet
(as in tears that represent a balance of emotions). Not actually a
synonym, I know.

>> 2. How do you read the lines:
>>
>> She shivers and says she thinks the house
>> feels chilly, and puts more wood in the stove.
>>
>> Please rewrite this in your own words.

I think you can read it literally, of course, but also perhaps you could
say, she is making a comment about the emotional temperature of the
family within the house, and commenting on it is a way of adjusting it.
'Fuel to the fire' is being alluded to here, which I think can mean she
is not actually solving the problem but adding to it.

Robyn