gmail

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Jan 11 13:44:14 EST 2005

Ros wondered...

> I've heard of this, but don't really know what it's about.

Gmail is a webmail service that Google has brought out relatively recently.
Its main selling point is that it gives you 1GB of storage space - I'm using
my account a little for my writing and editing related email and mostly as a
place to back up to.  It also lets you use the Google search engine to find
the email you're looking for, rather than sorting things into folders (I'm
not sure if this is a good thing or not, personally).  Unlike, say, hotmail,
it doesn't seem to have any kind of POP3 interface (i.e. you can't use it
through an email program like Outlook).  It does put ads down the side of
your screen, but they're all text and much easier to ignore than the ones
all over the yahoogroups site.

I wouldn't have bothered with it were it not for all that storage space; I
loathe and despise webmail and am sticking to my usual account for most
emailing.  But it is nice to have somewhere to use as a back-up site.

Currently, Gmail is still in beta-test, so the only way to get an account is
to be "invited" by an existing user.

HTH

Dorian.