chicklit (was various)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Jan 11 13:34:44 EST 2005

Allison said...

> We also lost one another numerous times, so I'm
> convinced that we were mostly shopping in different dimensions of
> the Over Store.  Or perhaps the fabric between parallel worlds is
> just exceptionally thin in stores like this, so you can easily wander
> to the next one over.

There's a department store in Dublin that's a bit like this.  You walk in
from Henry Street and you can walk in a straight line and come out onto
Liffey Street (which runs at right angles to Henry Street).  It's possible
to find yourself in the basement without actually going down any stairs.
And as for finding any given merchandise...you can follow the signs for
kitchenware (which is in the basement) and find yourself wandering forlornly
amongst the ladies fashions on the first floor (that's second floor to you
Amis!) without any idea of how you got there.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised
to enter this shop and find myself walking out of it into Berlin or London
or New York.  Nor would it astonish me to find myself exiting into 1905.

Dorian.