chicklit (was various)

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jan 11 12:21:30 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 06:16:12PM -0500, Kyra Jucovy wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Allison Marles wrote:
>
> > I am convinced that all grocery stores are somthing like this.  Each
> > grocery store is really just a part of the giant Over Store.  Moving
> > between them is very hard to do consciously.  However, accidentally
> >
> > Allison
>
> Are the resemblances to the primeval forest in _Hexwood_ deliberate in
> this account?  Although I have to say, I am SO much more frightened of an
> Over Store than I am of the Forest in _Hexwod_.  I think a book based on
> this premise would give me nightmares.
>
> 						---Kyra

Well maybe only subconsciously, because I haven't read Hexwood in at
least 7 years... :)
The Over Store is very frightening.  I think it somehow leeches out
the goodness in you, in an attempt to heighten your consumerism or
something.  The longer I'm lost wandering in it, the more foul my
mood becomes.  Especially when you go to the Checkout counters and
discover that for the whole of the Over Store there are only 3
counters with clerks and everyone from all dimensions has converged
upon them.  I am convinced there must be a dimension full of little
old ladies with change purses that never contain the correct amount
of change.  And they watch for people heading towards the checkouts
who look especially fed up and then contrive to arrive just before
them.

Allison