robin mckinley fairy tales

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Jan 11 11:26:19 EST 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, lizcrowe at juno.com wrote:

> Have any of you read Emma Donoghue's Kissing the Witch?  It's a
> memorable collection of retold fairy tales.

Ooh, I really liked it. I like how it turns tales on their heads (most
memorably in the first one, I think, but it's been a while since I read
it), and I like how the stories interlock at their beginnings and ends. It
makes it feel more like a book and less like a collection of stories. I
also liked the pleasant vagueness--no names, just repeated nouns--which is
sometimes a main feature of fairy tales. (Have you noticed that unless the
name is the title of the fairy tale--Rumpelstiltskin, Snow White and Rose
Red--there really generally aren't names? Who's the girl, and the miller,
and the prince/king in Rumpelstiltskin? *I* certainly don't know.)