CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Jan 10 21:51:02 EST 2005

On Monday, January 10, 2005, at 06:02 PM, Paul Andinach wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Charles Butler wrote:
>
>> But it's older than that - doesn't Mephistopholis say something
>> similar about the nature of hell in *Dr Faustus*?
>
> As I recall (it's been a few years), what Mephistopheles says about
> hell in Marlowe's 'Doctor Faustus' is that hell isn't a place, it's a
> state of mind - the thing that makes hell so bad is not any of its own
> qualities, but the fact that it isn't heaven, and the knowledge that
> one will never see heaven, and that one brought it upon oneself.
>
> When Faustus first summons Mephistopheles, he starts crowing about how
> he's summoned a demon "out of hell", to which Mephistopheles responds,
> essentially, "Oh, I wish".

Faustus:

How comes it then that thou art out of hell?

Mephistophilis:

Why this is hell, nor am I out of it.
Thinkst thou that I who saw the face of God,
And tasted the eternal joys of heaven,
Am not tormented with ten thousand hells,
In being deprived of everlasting bliss?

- It doesn't make any difference what you do in the
   bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street
   and frighten the horses.

                                    -- Mrs. Patrick Campbell