CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 10 20:02:42 EST 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Charles Butler wrote:

> But it's older than that - doesn't Mephistopholis say something
> similar about the nature of hell in *Dr Faustus*?

As I recall (it's been a few years), what Mephistopheles says about
hell in Marlowe's 'Doctor Faustus' is that hell isn't a place, it's a
state of mind - the thing that makes hell so bad is not any of its own
qualities, but the fact that it isn't heaven, and the knowledge that
one will never see heaven, and that one brought it upon oneself.

When Faustus first summons Mephistopheles, he starts crowing about how
he's summoned a demon "out of hell", to which Mephistopheles responds,
essentially, "Oh, I wish".

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."