Sophie's Choice (was Book Meme)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jan 10 17:21:06 EST 2005

> was the first time I'd ever really taken it personally, so to speak. I
> just vividly remember the bit where he's talking about how he used to go
> to *dances* when he was a *teenager*, and he describes the *teenage girls*
> who used to dance with him and then *cruelly* not allow him to have sex
> with them as "loathsome little vampires". Which I found a bit much, given
> that I was a teenage girl who didn't *want* to feel obligated to have sex
> with every boy I'd ever danced with/said hello to/been female near.

*sigh* This weekend I was talking to my engineer boyfriend about the
loathsomeness of Philip Roth and Portnoy's Complaint, and had to explain
to him the shockingness (to me) of the character not seeing anything
loathsomely wrong with rape, and in fact Roth and the people who made
you not really seeming to see *how* nasty it is-- they treated it like a
mugging. In fact, of less significance than a mugging, more like a
teenager shoplifting. Gak.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year, Give me a light
that I might go safely out into the darkness. And he replied, Go out
into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be
more to you than a light, and safer than a known way." --M. L. Haskins