Sophie's Choice (was Book Meme)

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Jan 10 14:45:38 EST 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Ika wrote:

<snip useful and good answer from Ika>

> So unless your grandfather thinks violent misogyny is the fatal flaw
> (which I only doubt because my father still can't see the violent misogyny
> in the book, and - not to lump all over-60s men into the same category - I
> suspect that's to do with his gender & generation), I can't help you,
> because I just couldn't see past it at the time (and I don't think the
> book is good enough to motivate me to do so).
>
> Love, Ika
>
> --
> "The White Cobra will take great pleasure in the black velvet mole."
> - *Avon: A Terrible Aspect*.

Thanks for the help!  It's not entirely impossible that the misogyny is
the fatal flaw, or maybe it's one of the many _other_ problems with the
book ;-).  But it is good to have more input into why at least one person
utterly loathes the book.  I can certainly see disliking it more than I do
if someone had told me that it was one of the saddest books in the world,
since I certainly find it far from that.

					---Kyra

---
"The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has
been smashed. But a storm is blowing from paradise; it has got caught in
his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them.
This storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is
turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward."
	---Walter Benjamin, _Theses on the Philosophy of History_