Best Books of 2004

Mon Jan 10 14:25:38 EST 2005

>From Hallie:

>Runner-up for Best Best New Book by an Author I've Enjoyed for
>Years: _A Fistful of Sky_ by Nina Kiriki Hoffman. This struck me as
>the most
>riveting thing she's done recently. I loved her earlier books (_The Thread
>That Binds the Bones_ and _The Silent Strength of Stones_ but her more
>recent ones, though full of interesting ideas, didn't seem to have the same
>oomph of the earlier ones. This one did.

Does this need to be read as a sequel to _Red Heart of Memories_ and
_Past the Size of Dreaming_ or can it be read as a stand-alone?  (Or
did I mix it up entirely?)

>From Me:

Fistful of Sky isn't in the series with Red Heart etc.  It's a stand-alone
about the LaZelle family, who can all do magic except Gypsum.  It's a
coming-of-age story, a story about being the misfit, a story about magic and
its use and misuse.  I really liked it!

Alison