CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 09:06:48 EST 2005

Margaret then Minnow:

> >In one of Lewis's theological essays (sorry, it's been a long time and I
> >don't have the book any more to give a precise reference) he envisions
> >Hell as being simply that part of the afterlife inhabited by people who
> >can't bear being near God - either they can't give up their
> >preconceptions, or they can't admit their faults, or whatever.
>
> I remember that vaguely as being Lewis but equally can't give a proper
> reference.  Drat.

I think CSL toys with this idea in several different places - isn't it
behind the refusal/inability of the Dwarfs to see anything but the dark
stable in The Last Battle, for example? But it probably gets its most
extended treatment in *The Great Divorce*, his Paradiso for the
twentieth-century (with George MacDonald standing in for Beatrice). But it's
older than that - doesn't Mephistopholis say something similar about the
nature of hell in *Dr Faustus*?

Charlie