Best Books of 2004

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Jan 10 02:45:08 EST 2005

Helen:

>>And those which prove me to be out-of-step with just about *everyone*
>>on the big children's lit hits of the moment:
>>
>>_Inkheart_, Cornelia Funke
>>_The Tale of Despereaux_, Kate DiCamillo
>>

>If you mean you didn't like them, you're in step with me, anyway. At
>least, I shouldn't say that about _Tale_, as I simply couldn't get
>into it at all, and therefore can't make any kind of judgment. Me
>not being able to get into a book means NOTHING whatsoever, as there
>are many such books that have later become my favorites. I do not
>know why I am like this, but there it is.

Yes, I did mean that I didn't like them.  Having seen so many ravings
about both, I didn't bother to spell it out.  I'll be interested to
hear your reaction if you do come back to Despereaux any time (though
it's nice to have company on _Inkheart_ either way).  The only book I
can think of (atm, which doesn't mean much!) that I couldn't get into
and later came to love was Sabriel.

Hallie