Characters who are Librarians

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 10 00:38:45 EST 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Katarina Hjärpe wrote:

> > > Well, since Pratchett's Librarian has already been mentioned,
> > > the first thing that comes to mind is The Name of the Rose,
> > > although I can't for the life of me remember the name of the
> > > actual *librarian*. (The library is a big deal in the book, the
> > > librarian not so much.)
> >
> > Jorge of Burgos.
>
> No way. He can't have been the librarian, he was *blind* for crying
> out loud.

So what? Borges was a librarian, and *he* was blind.

But you are correct that I am thinking of the wrong person; that will
teach me not to so easily trust dodgy secondary sources.

The actual librarian in 'The Name of the Rose' is Malachi of
Hildesheim. (And I actually looked in the book this time.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."