Off-topic request for opinion from all you literary types

Katie Meyers kgmeyers at optonline.net
Sun Jan 9 22:51:53 EST 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

Equinoctial would just be, I think, the adjective for "relating to the
equinox".  The equinox is an uncommon day when it is light and dark for
equal amounts during the day, because of where the sun is crossing.
Equinoctial as a noun means a storm.  Almanacs list equinoxes.  So with
all that, there is definitely something symbolic, but I think you just
wanted the word meanings.  If you are wondering which meaning exactly
the poem wants, I think it's probably taking something from all the
ways of looking at the word.

|She shivers and says she thinks the house
|feels chilly, and puts more wood in the stove.

It seems pretty clear English.              She shivers (maybe not
because she's cold).  To make an excuse for the shivers to herself and
the child she says the house feels cold, meaning cold temperature made
her shiver.  She puts wood on the stove to warm the house.

Did that help?  I am curious to hear what your argument was.