wiki changes

deborah deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sun Jan 9 19:59:02 EST 2005

By popular request:

I've made some major changes to the wiki today.  The most important is
that the wiki is currently password protected -- you need to configure a
password in order to modify a page.  This is absolutely not real
security, and everybody is still welcome to edit all the wiki pages.  In
fact, the password you need to use to modify the page is in plaintext
multiple times on every single page of the wiki.  This is just to
prevent bots (that is, automatic programs that run without user
intervention) from spamming the wiki.  To update a page on the wiki,
click on the "Preferences" link which is on the top and bottom of every
single page.  You'll see three fields at the very top: username,
password, and administrator password.  In the "Administrator password"
field, enter "cennoreth".  Click "Save".  Now you should be able to edit
pages to your heart's delight.  Unless you have special cookie settings
on your computer (and if you don't know what I mean, then you don't),
this password should be saved so that it persists the next time you
connect to the wiki, and you never need to enter it again.

Another change I've made should be invisible to everybody but might
discourage any spammers who come in manually instead of through bots:
historical revisions of what the files are no longer going to be linked
by Google.  Since the only reason the spammers come in is to modify
their Google PageRank scores, this new system might discourage them if
they bother to look.

The last major change I've made is stylistic.  The new version of the
wiki software supports stylesheets, so I've decorated the pages a bit.
If you don't like, feedback to me, I'll see what I can do.  If you do
like, pay it forward if you can: donate a bit of money or time to
someone in need.  I've been at this for five hours today, if that's
useful info.  :)  (If people think these requests are rude, I'm sorry.
It's just that I sometimes feel bad that I don't volunteer much anymore,
but I do spend time on my other things.  So I'm passing on the guilt.
Feel free to ignore.)

Let's hope this helps...

Next project: the mail archives.

-deborah
--
"I don't want to know what the structuralists think!  I want to
know what you think!"  -- Archer's Goon, Diana Wynne Jones