Off-topic request for opinion from all you literary types

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sun Jan 9 18:49:53 EST 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, deborah wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> |1. In the first line of the second stanza, the poem refers to "equinoctial
> |tears". Please give a synonym for "equinoctial" which you think could be
> |appropriate for the poem.
>
> In this case, "autumn".  That is, tears that fall near the autumnul
> equinox.  There's a lot more weight in their when you use equinox, tied
> in with cycles and extremes and all that.  But if I were a 15-year-old
> being asked the meaning of the phrase, I'd think "crying because it's
> September 20".

I would add that it could also simply mean "crying on (or near) September
20."

And I agree with what Deborah and Charlie said about question #2.

(Also, yay Elizabeth Bishop! I haven't thought about her in years, but I
read a bunch of her poetry my senior year of high school, when we were
each supposed to pick a poet and read a lot of poems and then write some
papers.)