Off-topic request for opinion from all you literary types

deborah deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sun Jan 9 15:34:04 EST 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

I'm going to answer these in a crude high school "what does this
mean" sense, because I think that's what you're asking for, right?
In terms of how a native English speaker might parse the meaning,
regardless of meaning that's derived from poetic form or structure or
meter, etc.?

|1. In the first line of the second stanza, the poem refers to "equinoctial
|tears". Please give a synonym for "equinoctial" which you think could be
|appropriate for the poem.

In this case, "autumn".  That is, tears that fall near the autumnul
equinox.  There's a lot more weight in their when you use equinox, tied
in with cycles and extremes and all that.  But if I were a 15-year-old
being asked the meaning of the phrase, I'd think "crying because it's
September 20".

|2. How do you read the lines:
|
|She shivers and says she thinks the house
|feels chilly, and puts more wood in the stove.

Um, I'd rewrite it that way.  That would be a perfectly good English
prose sentence.  There's weight in there, too, of course -- how much of
the shivering isn't about cold, but about a perception of winter, a
belief that the house "feels chilly", and burning of more wood so early
in the fall -- that's a dense line to unpack.  But if you made me
rephrase it in colloquial English and didn't let me use those words, I
might unpack it a little and get a little psychological:  "She says she
feels the cold, and shivers to reinforce it; she adds wood to the stove
as if that could stave off winter."

Did I understand at allwhat you wanted?

-deborah, New Critic Extrodinaire (except NOT)
--
I need to bond with you.  It's part of my therapy.