Book Meme

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sat Jan 8 17:38:26 EST 2005

Robyn:

> Umberto Eco "Borges and my Anxiety of Influence" from On Literature.

On the subject of serendipity, I was wondering about Eco (that name may be
significant) when I mentioned Borges and the library of Babel yesterday. Was
the library in The Name of the Rose in any way baed on/ripped off from/an
homage to/a play on that, does anyone know? Would a Bloom by any other name
smell as sweet? (And, for that matter, have you ever noticed that "Umberto
Eco" is an aural pun on the name of the narrator of Nabokov's *Lolita*?)

Charlie