Book Meme

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sat Jan 8 14:18:22 EST 2005

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Ika wrote:

> Which was such a startling juxtaposition of one of my favourite pieces of
> writing *ever* (the Benjamin - Kyra, have you ever heard the Laurie
> Anderson song which is basically that paragraph set to music?) with the
> Styron, which has a very strong claim to being the book I hate most in the
> world, that I couldn't resist commenting.
>
> Love, Ika

Really?  Neato, I like being a force of serendipity.

I have heard of the song but have never heard the song.  I'd certainly
like to.

But, okay, now I have to ask.  I first read _Sophie's Choice_ when I was
sixteen, for school, and when my uncle saw that I had to read it, he said,
"That book has one great major flaw, which completely ruins it for me."
But, of course, we agreed that he wouldn't tell me what the flaw was until
I finished the book.  Somehow, he never got around to telling me.  I think
I did ask him, years later, and he couldn't remember.  So now I'm
wondering if you know, since you hate it so much.  I can't say I love the
book - it has a lot of things that are serious minor flaws (if that's a
legitimate phrase) - but I certainly don't hate it, either, so maybe you
can tell me why you hate it, and I'll see if any of it sounds like the one
great major flaw.

					---Kyra

---
"The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has
been smashed. But a storm is blowing from paradise; it has got caught in
his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them.
This storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is
turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward."
	---Walter Benjamin, _Theses on the Philosophy of History_