robin mckinley fairy tales

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Jan 8 13:47:45 EST 2005

Otter said...

> One of the things I like VERY, VERY MUCH about Rose Daughter
>
> oh.  maybe I should put in spoilers .....

> is that the beast does not transform at the end.  Can you imagine
> getting to the point of loving a beast so that you want to marry him
> [and, presumably, have sex with him] and then have him turn into
> some wimpy _guy_?  Ewwwwwww.

Yes, that's one of the things I like about it too.  Beauty and the Beast has
long been one of my very favourite fairy tales, but I always felt that
turning him back into a prince at the end was rather a let-down.  Who wants
a wimpy prince when they can have a cool and interesting and (presumably)
sexy beast?

I've never liked princes in fairy tales; they never seem to have any
personality.  Though a friend of mine wrote a rather cool take on Cinderella
from the prince's POV and it worked very well (it's called "Cinderella's
Fella" and her name is Aislinn O'Loughlin).

Dorian.