Best Books of 2004

ROSLYN rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 8 06:56:01 EST 2005

  In a message dated 1/7/2005 2:29:22 AM Pacific Standard Time, Hallie O'Donovan writes:

    And those which prove me to be out-of-step with just about *everyone*
    on the big children's lit hits of the moment:

    _Inkheart_, Cornelia Funke
    _The Tale of Despereaux_, Kate DiCamillo

  If you mean you didn't like them, you're in step with me, anyway. At least, I shouldn't say that about _Tale_, as I simply couldn't get into it at all, and therefore can't make any kind of judgment. Me not being able to get into a book means NOTHING whatsoever, as there are many such books that have later become my favorites. I do not know why I am like this, but there it is.

  Helen Schinske

  I've recently developed a related phenomenon:

  Once I start reading with intent to keep reading, I'm usually OK, but lately, what's been happening is that once I'm ready to start reading a new book, I just don't feel like reading anything that's on my shelf. So I dip into various books and nothing interests me until I decide "I will read this one" and then I'm into it (usually :-))

  Have no idea why this is happening, but it's extremely irritating.

  Ros