Book Meme

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Sat Jan 8 06:29:32 EST 2005

Kyra wrote:

> "For many years, however, Frank had been the owner and absentee landlord
> of a small peanut farm over in Southampton County, a place that was in the
> Hobbs family ever since the civil war."
>
> From _Sophie's Choice_, William Styron.
>
> 					---Kyra
>

> ---
> "The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has
> been smashed. But a storm is blowing from paradise; it has got caught in
> his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them.
> This storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is
> turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward."
> 	---Walter Benjamin, _Theses on the Philosophy of History_

Which was such a startling juxtaposition of one of my favourite pieces of
writing *ever* (the Benjamin - Kyra, have you ever heard the Laurie
Anderson song which is basically that paragraph set to music?) with the
Styron, which has a very strong claim to being the book I hate most in the
world, that I couldn't resist commenting.

Love, Ika

PS: Roslyn, I finished *Buttermilk Pancakes* last night and when I stop
crying every time I think about the end I'll do a brief review here (I
loved it).

--
"The White Cobra will take great pleasure in the black velvet mole."
- *Avon: A Terrible Aspect*.