robin mckinley fairy tales

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Jan 7 20:09:36 EST 2005

On Friday, January 7, 2005, at 04:58 PM, Kyla Tornheim wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
>
>> Nah, I think for *once* Hallie will resist giving her opinion of any
>> Robin McKinley.  Consider it my New Year's present to everyone!

<snippage>

> And
> I've only read Rose Daughter once, long ago (um, probably when it first
> came out), and I found it vague and under-explained, both different
> enough
> from Beauty that it was unfamiliar and odd, and not different enough
> that
> I could see why I was reading it instead of Beauty.

One of the things I like VERY, VERY MUCH about Rose Daughter

oh.  maybe I should put in spoilers .....

is that the beast does not transform at the end.  Can you imagine
getting to the point of loving a beast so that you want to marry him
[and, presumably, have sex with him] and then have him turn into
some wimpy _guy_?  Ewwwwwww.

I like Rose Daughter better for other reasons as well.