robin mckinley fairy tales

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Jan 7 18:53:00 EST 2005

Allison replied to me...

> > I don't think I would precisely describe "Rose Daughter" as being 'a
more
> > adult book' (a description I've seen of it, not one I'm ascribing to
you!)
> > than "Beauty".  I would describe it as a more complex and less
comfortable

> But that is what I meant :)  I had read Rose Daughter first (and I like
> and own it), and when I read Beauty, it just seemed like a simpler story
> that was intended for a younger audience.   Now part of it might just be
> personal preference since I really enjoyed the atmosphere and magic of
> Rose Daughter.  But I also felt it had a more mature feel to it.

Ahhh...I read "Beauty" first (mainly because "Rose Daughter" hadn't then
been written. :-) ).  That may have something to do with *my* reactions to
the two books.

"Beauty" *is* a simpler and "easier" book, but it also has, for me, the
qualities of a book read first at a much younger age (late teens, IIRC), so
there's that bit of nostalgia and that bit of "this book returns me a little
to how I felt and who I was, back then".  I think this is why I find it a
more comfortable book than "Rose Daughter" - though I do, also, love the
spiky complexities of the latter.

Dorian.