robin mckinley fairy tales

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jan 7 18:03:34 EST 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:47:44PM -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
> Allison advised...
>
> > If you liked Beauty, you should definitely read Spindle's End and Rose
> > Daughter, which are respectively retellings of Sleeping Beauty and
> > Beauty and The Beast.  I liked them better than Beauty, probably partly
> > because they seemed intended for an older audience.
>
> Um.  I've not read "Spindle's End" (yet), but I would enter a caveat over
> "Rose Daughter".  I personally like this book, and I like it as well as I
> like "Beauty", RMcK's earlier Beauty and the Beast tale.  In fact, I own a
> copy of "Rose Daughter" because Hallie (who will no doubt soon pop up to
> give her opinion, so I won't pre-empt her too much) gave me hers because she
> didn't like it.
>
> I don't think I would precisely describe "Rose Daughter" as being 'a more
> adult book' (a description I've seen of it, not one I'm ascribing to you!)
> than "Beauty".  I would describe it as a more complex and less comfortable

But that is what I meant :)  I had read Rose Daughter first (and I like
and own it), and when I read Beauty, it just seemed like a simpler story
that was intended for a younger audience.   Now part of it might just be
personal preference since I really enjoyed the atmosphere and magic of
Rose Daughter.  But I also felt it had a more mature feel to it.

Allison