Subject: Book Meme

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 7 11:19:56 EST 2005

Kathleen suggested

<1. Pick up the nearest book to you.
2. Find page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the sentence.
5. Don't search around and look for the "coolest"

book you can find. Do
what's actually next to you.>

I honestly tried to  find only one book, I did.
To my right, as I sit at my computer is the cats'
bean bag, currently unoccupied by either cat just
the book I am currently reading, where I tossed
it when I came downstairs (bean bags are very
good for tossing things at as they (the things)
land gently and do not bounce.). To my left is a
sofa, on this are two books, one that I consulted
recently to make a post to another list, the
other, on top of it, one that someone gave me on
Sunday and which has been sitting there since I
got home and took it out of my bag. From where I
am, by stretching out my arms in as symmetrical a
fashion as I could  manage, I could brush each of
these books with my fingertips. (There's no
coincidence involved, only convenience, as I can
reach either the sofa-cum-book-storage or fuss
the cat without getting up off my arse!). So, I
really couldn't choose between these books
without accusing myself of choosing the coolest!!

The cats' bean bag book:

"Maybe it's because so much of their land is at
sea level and is subjected to storms and
hurricanes."
The Dragon of Despair. Jane Lindskold

The topmost sofa book

"Then he connected the sirens to the fight they'd
had and took off in earnest."
 Cowboy feng's Space Bar and Grille" Steven
Brust.

The bottommost sofa book:

"If man be fallen," wrote Richard Overton in his
Mans Mortality (1644), "and the beasts be cursed
for his sake, man must (be) equally mortal with
them."
Man and the Natural World. Keith Thomas.

Incidentally, I already have a copy of Cowboy
Feng so mail me offlist if you would like this
one.

=====
Ven