Book Meme

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 08:36:36 EST 2005

Kyra:
> "For many years, however, Frank had been the owner and absentee landlord
> of a small peanut farm over in Southampton County, a place that was in the
> Hobbs family ever since the civil war."
>
> From _Sophie's Choice_, William Styron.

I've always meant to read *Sophie's Choice*, but... well, is that mixing of
the pluperfect and imperfect tenses grammatical in American English? It made
me shudder a little (as earlier this morning when I realised I had - not for
the first time - misspelt Euripides), but it occurs to me it might be a
national difference.

Charlie