Book Meme

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Jan 7 07:54:56 EST 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Kathleen Jennings wrote:

> I forward this after a sudden fit of activity on the Vision spec-fic group:
>
> For fun:
>
> 1. Pick up the nearest book to you.
> 2. Find page 123.
> 3. Find the fifth sentence.
> 4. Post the text of the sentence.
> 5. Don't search around and look for the "coolest" book you can find. Do
> what's actually next to you.
>
> Kathleen

"For many years, however, Frank had been the owner and absentee landlord
of a small peanut farm over in Southampton County, a place that was in the
Hobbs family ever since the civil war."

>From _Sophie's Choice_, William Styron.

					---Kyra

---
"The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has
been smashed. But a storm is blowing from paradise; it has got caught in
his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them.
This storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is
turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward."
	---Walter Benjamin, _Theses on the Philosophy of History_