Book Meme

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Jan 7 05:35:27 EST 2005

Kathleen suggested

>I forward this after a sudden fit of activity on the Vision spec-fic group:
>
>For fun:
>
>1. Pick up the nearest book to you.
>2. Find page 123.
>3. Find the fifth sentence.
>4. Post the text of the sentence.
>5. Don't search around and look for the "coolest" book you can find. Do
>what's actually next to you.

"'You don't have to do anything.'"

I *like* it, as an example of the sortes.

(I ignored the absolutely closest to me *Concordance to Piers Plowman* on
the grounds that it doesn't exactly have sentences in it, just
line-citations.)

The book I quote was sitting just beyond the concordance, having arrived in
the post this morning.  Many, many thanks to Jill, who sent me this copy of
*Minnow Vail*.  I'd already given a fiver to St Mungo's for it, Jill, but
I'm now putting an extra tenner into aid for Sri Lanka -- my son's ship is
out there helping the relief effort as much as the Navy can manage, so that
seems to be the country our family is concentrating on, and goodness knows
they need all the help they can get right now.

Minnow