Best Books of 2004

ROSLYN rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jan 2 20:59:21 EST 2005

>>And finally...
>>**Worst Book of 2004:  _The Da Vinci Code_ by Dan Brown
>
> Heh.  I was saved from this quite a while ago by a friend from
> BookCrossing, who also detested it.  The more I hear, the happier I get
> about taking her word for it!  My mother was given a copy by a friend of
> hers visiting from the US, and I couldn't quite resist a tactful
> questioning about the book's 'merits'.  She said she was fascinated in the
> history of the (Christian) church's views on women because she'd studied
> religion in university, and I asked her if that part was accurate.  There
> was a pause and then she said 'it's fiction - it doesn't need to be
> accurate'.  At which point Becca left the room and I dropped the subject.
> My mother didn't go near the book, I might add.
>
> Hallie (working on my own list)

Er...I really wouldn't say this is the worst book I've read this year, or
that is it as bad as people have been saying. I agree with the criticisms
made of it, but I enjoyed it just the same--it was good fun (says she,
ducking and running!).

(In fact I can't really point to any book I read this year as being
absolutely dreadful.)

Ros, also working on my own list...