Sources (was Re: Subject: Various things to do with books (strangely enough))

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Feb 28 15:30:11 EST 2005

Ven wrote:

>They are linked books set on a particular world.
>The magic works by the musical invocation of the
>Kigh, flocks of elemental spirits. They are where
>Dwj got the inspiration for the spirits in
>the....... Oh dammit that's a spoiler ...........
>um some spirits in certain of her books.

Is that her Official Explanation so that she won't
be regarded as a nutcase by the mee-juh?

As far as I know, the origin of the folk in the
Regalia was DWJ being given a present which had a
person living in it, and which was malign in its
intent: a nasty silver object with spikes.  When
I lost my temper with this thing at about 990
degrees of heat, and melted it to a glob, the
person who had been bound to it, and who had been
an unwilling pawn of the malice, was released, and
was very grateful.  It still seems to be living in
the glob, which I occasionally wear on my wrist;
the person involved feels inclined to healing, as
some sort of repayment for having done wrong in
its past, and no matter how much it is told that
it is a free agent, it hangs about.  When I am
trying to heal, if I am wearing the glob this
person joins in.  (And the healing goes better,
particularly if it is for DWJ.)

I have no idea whether at the time this happened
DWJ had read the Tanya Huff books, because I
can't honestly remember how long ago this was.
I do know that after the release of this person,
DWJ speculated as to whether there were other
such slaves in ritual objects belonging to covens
and individuals, and whether they should be freed
and if so how it could be done without the things
they were bound to having to be destroyed.  So I
am reasonably certain that Tanya Huff was not the
"inspiration" for those particular spirits, any
more than she was for the salamanders (one of
whom was living in a car's engine for a while,
and another in DWJ's boiler-room in the yard) or
for the plant-lady.  Or indeed for the
desecrated garden.  *The Merlin Conspiracy* has
a lot of sources, but I don't think any of it is
lifted from other people's books.

Hasn't the idea of small spirits of the earth,
air, fire and water been around since before
1994 anyhow?  I think they're called "elementals"
-- I used them myself back in 1988 when I was
writing a comic -- and I don't think Tanya Huff's
work need be seen as DWJ's source material for
those either, any more than mine was. Like trolls
or elves, they're probably rather older than the
written word as an idea.

Minnow