Various things to do with books (strangely enough)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Feb 25 13:41:14 EST 2005

Ros said...

> I seem to be weird in that I love _Beauty_ *and* _Rose Daughter_ (though I
> must admit that it's been a while since I've read either). Probably
> _Beauty_ has a greater emotional resonance for me, though, because I read
> it first, and it made a stronger impression, even though I totally agree
> that _Rose Daughter_ is a much more complex, mature novel.

Not weird at all; I love them both too.

Like you, I read "Beauty" first, and I look upon it now as perfect
comfort-reading.  It's so sweet and nice (and a heroine who loves books!).
"Rose Daughter", as you say, is more complex, and not really very
comfortable - downright spiky in places!  I also think of it as more
"gorgeous" than "Beauty"..."Beauty" is like a length of deep rose-pink
velvet, while "Rose Daughter" is more like that length of velvet all done in
fantastical embroidery (possibly involving scratchy gold or silver thread).
I cuddle the velvet against my face, but stand back and admire the
embroidery.

Each book fulfils a different need for me.

Dorian.