Various things to do with books (strangely enough)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Feb 24 11:29:10 EST 2005

On Wednesday, February 23, 2005, at 01:52 PM, AZS wrote:

> The list is quiet... It's not just my email playing up, is it?
> Minor spoiler warning!!!
>

> Very minor!
>

> I just read Sunshine and I am soooo impressed!

I like it very much my own self.  I was sick for most of January and
felt the need
to read it twice.

I don't think that going out with Con at night counts as 'jumping'.  I,
too, would
like to know more about Mel, but I wouldn't count on a sequel.  Books
don't
seem to work that way for Ms. McKinley.  Back in the dark ages when she
wrote Blue Sword and Hero and Crown, they were supposed to be part of
a trilogy, but the third book didn't gel.

> I have since bought some more Robin McKinleys on ebay. I got The Blue
> Sword which I'm reading right now- it turned out that I'd read it
> years ago and forgot- and The Door in the Hedge, and The Hero and the
> Crown. Am on the lookout for Beauty. Any more recommendations?

The ones of which I am least fond are Beauty, Door in the Hedge, and
Outlaws of
Sherwood [though it's been a _long_ time since I read that and
rereading might
change my opinion].

I like Rose Daughter _much_ better than _Beauty_ [they're both Beauty
and
the Beast], I like Spindle's End, and I like Deerskin, although it's
pretty fierce.

> Have she and Peter Dickinson been married/together for long enough?

Nope.  Plus he's about 25 years older than she.

> I got The Bridge of Birds (I heard good things about it),

It's _wonderful_!  [The two sequels are not so wonderful, though
they're not
bad.  If you like it, try finding some of the Kai Lung books by Ernest
Bramah.]

> as well as Beauty by Sheri Tepper- I remember the list saying that
> some of her books are a bit preachy, is this one of them?

I generally like Ms. Tepper, but I hated _Beauty_.  On another paw, I
read it
some years ago, and the other ones I've read in the last year.
Rereading it
might change my mind, but I'm not willing to do it.  [I don't mind being
preached to on the subject of the inequality of the sexes.  _Six Moon
Dance_
is my favorite so far.]