Various things to do with books (strangely enough)

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Wed Feb 23 18:30:28 EST 2005

On this thread of fairy tale retellings (my dissertation subject), has
anyone read Gregory Maguire's _Confessions of an Ugly Step-sister_? I just
finished it last night and there's so much init, I'd be really interested to
hear what others thought. Someone mentioned Tepper's _Beauty_, which I have
but haven't read yet, strings together a lot of different fairy tales.
_Confessions_ is pretty much "just" Cinderella, but it does bring in
elements from other tales, such as the missing merchant ship from Beauty and
the Beast--not to mention all the stuff about 17th century Flemish art,
European politics and the tulip mania of the time.

Judith