hardcover of Drowned Wednesday

jack at greenmanreview.com jack at greenmanreview.com
Thu Feb 17 18:27:18 EST 2005

• Pretty much. Basically what happens is that if sales of the author are
• high enough and/or it gets to be a library book choice, they ramp up the
• publication to hardback, because they know they can get people to pay
• for it. *growl*

It really depends on the publisher, i.e. Tor almost always does a hardback first of
a new release, but Ace rarely does so. And some authors, e.g. Charles de Lint, have
contracts (in this case with Tor) that specify a hardcover first. I sort of fuzzily
remember that Locus said once that 40% of all new sf/f/h comes out first in hardcover,
but I suspect that trade editionshave cut into taht a bit.