Drowned Wednesday

Elizabeth Bentley elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com
Thu Feb 17 18:02:20 EST 2005

On 17/2/05 10:19 pm, "Judith Ridge" <Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au> wrote:

> The size of our market just doesn't allow for the expense of hardcovers and
> there is also a great resistance from (Australian) kids to them. Jon, is
> this your experience? It was certainly mine when I was teaching and then
> working in school libraries and bookshops--hardback books carried some
> stigma that I was never quite able to figure out. Maybe that's changed.

I can remember Peter Dickinson saying that one child asked him when the
'easy' version of one of his books was coming out, and it turned out he
meant the paperback.  So there can be a perception that hardbacks are
actually harder.

Certainly I would say there was a resistance to reading hardbacks at my
school, duplicated elsewhere, to the extent that it actually quite difficult
for school librarians as opposed to public librarians to be aware of recent
fiction, when it comes to making recommendations for the Carnegie.

EB
Elizabeth Bentley, Head of Learning Resources
Northbrook C of E School, London, UK
mailto:elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com