Drowned Wednesday

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Thu Feb 17 17:19:34 EST 2005

On 17/2/05 5:29 PM, "Aimee Smith" <s4028253 at student.uq.edu.au> wrote:

> Drowned Wednesday is out in its usual softcover with shiny stuff cover
> in Brisbane. I haven't seen it in a hard cover.
> Aimee.

Australian children's novels almost never come out in first run hardback.
John Marsden is one of the few exceptions. Another is the new junior series
"Piccolo and Annabelle", written and illustrated by my friend Stephen
Axelsen. In this instance the publisher has been quite plain about saying
they are hooking into the Lemony Snicket "look" and thus hopefully market
(although the books are not remotely Snicketish). Retrospectively, Looking
for Alibrandi has been published in hardcover (over ten years after first
publication date) and the Rowan of Rin quintet has been published in
hardback omnibus.

The size of our market just doesn't allow for the expense of hardcovers and
there is also a great resistance from (Australian) kids to them. Jon, is
this your experience? It was certainly mine when I was teaching and then
working in school libraries and bookshops--hardback books carried some
stigma that I was never quite able to figure out. Maybe that's changed.

Judith

Judith Ridge
Editorial Staff
The School Magazine