hardcover of Drowned Wednesday

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Feb 17 13:02:43 EST 2005

Melissa wrote:

>If I were your customer, I'd buy the HC, but I'm obsessive.

I'd borrow the book from someone else with more money or from a library and
read it, then decide if I was likely to want to re-read it more than twice
(since I find that perfect-bound paperbacks last for about three readings
before they become a random-number generating engine) and buy the hardback
if it turned out to be a must-keep book worth using a bit of precious
shelf-space for.

>Jim Butcher's next Dresden book is also coming out in hardcover.  Grumble
>grumble grumble.

Used to be, back in the Bad Old Days, books came out in hardback, and were
printed in paperback (sometimes even in a different imprint, maybe a
paperback-only concern like Penguin or Pan) only when the hardback sales
had been strong enough to justify a "cheap" edition.  People used to ask
"is it out in paperback yet?" about books they weren't sure they wanted to
keep for a long time (like the latest Dick Francis or similar once-a-year
regulars).  I'm not sure when that changed, or even whether it has entirely
(Dick Francis still came out last time as a hardback for Christmas market
and a paperback for Summer Holiday, I think): I remember that I never saw
genre SF in hardback during the late sixties, but that might just have been
because much of it was first published in America, and only came to England
at all in paperback.  Certainly all the books I coveted as a child were in
hardback, and I often had to wait until the queue for them in the library
had calmed down a bit before I could get hold of them, or hope for a
reasonable number of booktokens for Christmas or birthday -- lord how I
loathed aunts who thought booktokens were "boring"!  Money was
ok-I-suppose, but there was always pressure to spend it on something
*sensible* rather than the book I really wanted.  (As for clothing...
grrrrrrrrrr...)

When were the first "trade paperbacks"?

Minnow