alternate Australias (was alternate englands - belated questions)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 00:33:10 EST 2005

--- Paul Andinach <pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Roslyn wrote:
>
> > Judith wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to think of something pivotal enough
> that happened here
> > > that would have split a world off! ;-)
> >
> > :-)))
> >
> > Seriously, what about the British settlement of
> Australia? The
> > Eureka Stockade? The sacking of Whitlam?
>
> I considered the British settlement of Australia,
> but any change to
> that would really be the result of something that
> had already happened
> in Europe, so it doesn't really get us out of the
> European Nexus.
>
> The others... nah.  :)

I can think of three alternate world novels set in
Australia. One was an alternative version of world war
II in which the Japanese landed an invasion force in
Queensland and marched south. The force was finally
defeated after a Banzai charge across Sydney Harbour
Bridge and then the was went back to normal. I can't
recall the title but I think the author was John
Vader. )Just checked - it was and the book was called
"The Battle of Sydney"). A recent example is by James
Roy; "Icabod Crane and the Lighthouse Mystery" in
which whatever changed history does not seem to have
occurred in Australia but is set here. It is a
steampunk YA novel set in 1900 in an alternate
Australia in which the western half of the continent
is a French colony while the British colony's capital
is Port Nelson on the site of Shoal Bay, on Port
Stephens NSW. The third is the only one in which
events resulting from a change in Australian history
result in significant changes outside Australia. That
is Bert Chandler's "Kelly Country" set in the 1880s
(so it even fits in with the 19th century theme) in
this book bushranger Ned Kelly leads a successful
rebelion against the British and establishes an
Australian republic.
Personally I think that to be a world shattering
change from Australia a major mountain range in
central Australia would have been needed. This would
have changed Australia's climate such that animals
capable of domestication might have been there for the
aborigines to begin farming and build permanent
settlements. (a few plants capable of domestication
other than the Macadamia nut would have been needed
too, but a changed climate might have allowed that as
well). If an indiginious civilization had developed
and then, under pressure from Asian cultures who would
now find Australia a far more desirable location, been
forced to advance technologicaly, the whole history of
the world may have been different.

Jon