alternate englands - belated questions

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 15 20:58:41 EST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Roslyn wrote:

> Judith wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to think of something pivotal enough that happened here
> > that would have split a world off! ;-)
>
> :-)))
>
> Seriously, what about the British settlement of Australia? The
> Eureka Stockade? The sacking of Whitlam?

I considered the British settlement of Australia, but any change to
that would really be the result of something that had already happened
in Europe, so it doesn't really get us out of the European Nexus.

The others... nah.  :)

-snip-
> I'm wondering if that's what we're to understand by the
> world-splitting concept--that when the Guy Fawkes event happened, a
> whole new universe was created? So when something pivotal happens in
> one part of the world that's world-generating, it drags the rest of
> the world with it?

Yes, I think that's the idea. In the case of 'Witch Week', for
instance, we have Nirupam Singh's testimony that it's not just England
that was affected.

It is perhaps easier to understand with events that, although they
*happen* in one part of the world, have consequences that affect the
rest of the world as well. See for instance the discussion elsewhere
on this list about the consequences of Hannibal defeating Rome.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."