alternate englands - belated questions

Ian Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue Feb 15 20:57:18 EST 2005

On Feb 15, 2005, at 6:44 PM, Roslyn wrote:

>> Charlie said...
>>
>>> Or, then again, what if Hannibal had defeated Rome - that seems to
>>> have
>>> been
>>> a close-run thing too? Perhaps we'd have inherited a
>>> Phoenician/Canaanite
>>> pantheon instead of the Roman/Greek one - and what interesting
>>> interference
>>> patterns that would have made with Christianity, should Christianity
>>> ever
>>> have come to pass.
>
> Dorian:
>
>> Ooh, yes, there's an interesting speculation.  Assuming that Jesus
>> managed
>> to get born and go ahead and be and do who and what he was and did,
>> up to
>> the point of being arrested...  Under a different system, would he
>> have been
>> arrested?  Would he have been arrested earlier?  Would he have just
>> been ignored by the authorites?  And if things did play out as in the
>> Bible, would Christianity actually have got started?  Or would it
>> have been squashed flat, or ignored, or have fizzled out?  Would it
>> have remained a small cult, maybe?  Would "Jesus of Nazareth" now be
>> known only to scholars as a minor prophet...or maybe a minor
>> revolutionary?  Would even the history that we have have survived, or
>> would there be a totally different story extant?
>
>> Oh, the so many ways you could take an alternate world just from that
>> one question...
>
> If Paul hadn't taken the early Christian beliefs (which were then
> still largely part of the Jewish world-view) to the larger world,
> transforming and spreading them, possibly Christianity would have
> remained a Jewish cult (and possibly even disappeared, like so many
> other Jewish subgroups of the time). And there wouldn't have been a
> Holy Roman Empire, a Catholic Church dominating Europe, the Crusades,
> the growth of Chrtistian-based anti-semitism, the Holocaust...in fact,
> the course of Western civilisation might have been totally different.
>
> Ros

No censuring of Galilleo . . .And not just the bad things . . . no
B-Minor Mass, no Faure Requiem, no Paradise Lost (and therefore no His
Dark Materials), no St. Paul's Cathedral . . .

Ah, well, I'm sure humanity would have found something to destroy each
other over and inspire great art.

widdy

Blessed Cecelia, appear in visions
To all musicians, appear and inspire:
Translated Daughter, come down and startle
Composing mortals with immortal fire.
W. H. Auden

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net