alternate englands - belated questions

Roslyn rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Tue Feb 15 19:44:50 EST 2005

> Charlie said...
>
>> Or, then again, what if Hannibal had defeated Rome - that seems to have
>> been
>> a close-run thing too? Perhaps we'd have inherited a Phoenician/Canaanite
>> pantheon instead of the Roman/Greek one - and what interesting
>> interference
>> patterns that would have made with Christianity, should Christianity ever
>> have come to pass.

Dorian:

> Ooh, yes, there's an interesting speculation.  Assuming that Jesus managed
> to get born and go ahead and be and do who and what he was and did, up to
> the point of being arrested...  Under a different system, would he have
> been
> arrested?  Would he have been arrested earlier?  Would he have just been
> ignored by the authorites?  And if things did play out as in the Bible,
> would Christianity actually have got started?  Or would it have been
> squashed flat, or ignored, or have fizzled out?  Would it have remained a
> small cult, maybe?  Would "Jesus of Nazareth" now be known only to
> scholars as a minor prophet...or maybe a minor revolutionary?  Would even
> the history that we have have survived, or would there be a totally
> different story extant?

> Oh, the so many ways you could take an alternate world just from that one
> question...

If Paul hadn't taken the early Christian beliefs (which were then still
largely part of the Jewish world-view) to the larger world, transforming and
spreading them, possibly Christianity would have remained a Jewish cult (and
possibly even disappeared, like so many other Jewish subgroups of the time).
And there wouldn't have been a Holy Roman Empire, a Catholic Church
dominating Europe, the Crusades, the growth of Chrtistian-based
anti-semitism, the Holocaust...in fact, the course of Western civilisation
might have been totally different.

Ros