alternate englands - belated questions

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Feb 15 15:11:36 EST 2005

Ros said...

> < I was going to say that perhaps Milli's world is somewhere in the Indian
> version of Christopher's world, but of course that doesn't work. For one
> thing, it's supposed to be a different world, not another country, and
> secondly, the Goddess is called Milli and speaks English...But presumably,
> it must have been some pivotal event in India or somewhere like that which
> caused Milli's version of India-or-wherever to be created. >

Uh...she names herself Millie after reading some of the books Christopher
brings her.  Before that, IIRC, she didn't have a name; she was simply the
Living Asheth.

And there's no reason to suppose that Christopher *must* arrive in the local
equivalent of England every time he visits an Anywhere.

The language question *is* an interesting one, though.  If, for instance, we
take my previous suggestion that Millie's world was created by the Ancient
Egyptians being that world's version of the Roman Empire...how on earth did
English develop at all?  Without the influence of Latin (via the Normans),
English would be a very different language from the one we know, and
probably only semi-comprehensible to us.

> Yep, mermaids that were being butchered and sold in squishy brown parcels,
> or something like that, IIRC. But I wasn't arguing that all the worlds are
> versions of the Western world so much as wondering, in the worlds where
> pivotal events in the Western world do cause splits, what happens to the
> other countries--do they 'come along' with the new world, or what? (I'm
> being painfully repetitive only because I'm trying to clarify my own
> question to myself...)

I would think they would continue to develop in whatever way they would have
without whatever influence the split-event had in our world.  Or with a new
influence created by the split-event going the other way.  Take the Battle
of Waterloo as a random example.  In a world where the French won that, the
British Empire might not exist, so India and Australia (for instance) might
have been colonised more by France than England.  Or they might not have
been discovered/bothered with by Europeans at all.

Or a world where Marco Polo died before he got to China.  China might have
happily gone on developing along its own lines, unaware of Europe...or
someone else might have got there and dragged it back into our continuum (as
it were).

Or a world in which America lost the War of Independence...Colonialism might
have taken off earlier or faster, because the British army was now swelled
by Americans and could come home to fight in Europe sooner...or the British
might have ignored the Far East and Australia completely in favour of
spreading more widely over America.

What if, what if, what if...I love alternate history.

Dorian.