alternate englands - belated questions

Roslyn rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Tue Feb 15 07:05:08 EST 2005

On 14/2/05 6:37 PM, "Roslyn" <rosgross at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Virginia added to the discussion:
>
>> And of course we don't always know which events are world-generating and
>> which not. Janet (I think) gets the result of Agincourt wrong in a
>> lesson,
>> but does that have to mean it was a split, or just that things worked out
>> differently in her world? Perhaps it does have to be a split, or why
>> would
>> there be battles of Agincourt in two or more worlds where history had
>> already diverged? That does seem particularly anglocentric. And could the
>> results of the battles be the consequence of (eg) a particular person, or
>> disease, or spell, happening or not happening, it's just we can't see
>> that's
>> why the battle is won (or lost). Don't know if that makes sense at all.
>
> I'm confused about this also. Granted, the fact that something like Guy
> Fawkes is shown to be pivotal in world-generation is anglocentric--DWJ is
> British and European and there's no reason why she shouldn't see these as
> pivotal--but it brings up even more issues. It's understandable that the
> British/European world might be split by an event like this, but
> meanwhile,
> what was happening in the other side of the world? Did the whole universe
> split and break away because of Guy Fawkes (for example)? Does that mean
> that the whole world, including Britain, branches off when something
> pivotal
> happens in Asia, Australia, Africa, etc? That is, does 'world' mean the
> whole planet? Could it mean the entire universe? We are talking about
> multi-verses, after all (or maybe not, in  books like_Witch Week_ , _LoCC_
> and _Charmed Life_.) Is it possible that only Britain (and Europe,
> perhaps)
> was affected in this way? Do all countries and cultures become part of a
> split that occurs in one part of the world? If not, how does that work?

Judith wrote:

<I'm trying to think of something pivotal enough that happened here that
would have split a world off! ;-)

:-)))

Seriously, what about the British settlement of Australia? The Eureka
Stockade? The sacking of Whitlam? Hey, do you think that when Whitlam made
his "Kerr's cur" speech our world was split into two? :-) And if it did, I
wonder if that caused the whole universe to split?  I'm wondering if that's
what we're to understand by the world-splitting concept--that when the Guy
Fawkes event happened, a whole new universe was created? So when something
pivotal happens in one part of the world that's world-generating, it drags
the rest of the world with it?

<  Seriously, though, I am really enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on
this,
and wishing I had time to go back and read the books again to consider all
the theories. However, I will add this, in response to Ros's post: how might
we account for The Goddess's (Milli's) world? If the epicentre of the splits
is indeed England/Europe, as it seems to be on existing evidence, what event
might have led to the creation of a world with temples, goddesses, sacred
cats remembers, it also has shades of Ancient Egypt? (It's the cats! time
since either of us read it and there's no copy to hand!) In either
case, the question remains.

< I was going to say that perhaps Milli's world is somewhere in the Indian
version of Christopher's world, but of course that doesn't work. For one
thing, it's supposed to be a different world, not another country, and
secondly, the Goddess is called Milli and speaks English...But presumably,
it must have been some pivotal event in India or somewhere like that which
caused Milli's version of India-or-wherever to be created. >

< And wasn't there a weird world with mermaids or sirens or something that
CC
visits? Not all of them are recognisable versions of "our" western/European
world, are they? >

Yep, mermaids that were being butchered and sold in squishy brown parcels,
or something like that, IIRC. But I wasn't arguing that all the worlds are
versions of the Western world so much as wondering, in the worlds where
pivotal events in the Western world do cause splits, what happens to the
other countries--do they 'come along' with the new world, or what? (I'm
being painfully repetitive only because I'm trying to clarify my own
question to myself...)

Ros