alternate englands - belated questions

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Mon Feb 14 19:59:41 EST 2005

On 14/2/05 6:37 PM, "Roslyn" <rosgross at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Virginia added to the discussion:
>
>> And of course we don't always know which events are world-generating and
>> which not. Janet (I think) gets the result of Agincourt wrong in a lesson,
>> but does that have to mean it was a split, or just that things worked out
>> differently in her world? Perhaps it does have to be a split, or why would
>> there be battles of Agincourt in two or more worlds where history had
>> already diverged? That does seem particularly anglocentric. And could the
>> results of the battles be the consequence of (eg) a particular person, or
>> disease, or spell, happening or not happening, it's just we can't see
>> that's
>> why the battle is won (or lost). Don't know if that makes sense at all.
>
> I'm confused about this also. Granted, the fact that something like Guy
> Fawkes is shown to be pivotal in world-generation is anglocentric--DWJ is
> British and European and there's no reason why she shouldn't see these as
> pivotal--but it brings up even more issues. It's understandable that the
> British/European world might be split by an event like this, but meanwhile,
> what was happening in the other side of the world? Did the whole universe
> split and break away because of Guy Fawkes (for example)? Does that mean
> that the whole world, including Britain, branches off when something pivotal
> happens in Asia, Australia, Africa, etc? That is, does 'world' mean the
> whole planet? Could it mean the entire universe? We are talking about
> multi-verses, after all (or maybe not, in  books like_Witch Week_ , _LoCC_
> and _Charmed Life_.) Is it possible that only Britain (and Europe, perhaps)
> was affected in this way? Do all countries and cultures become part of a
> split that occurs in one part of the world? If not, how does that work?

I'm trying to think of something pivotal enough that happened here that
would have split a world off! ;-)

Seriously, though, I am really enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on this,
and wishing I had time to go back and read the books again to consider all
the theories. However, I will add this, in response to Ros's post: how might
we account for The Goddess's (Milli's) world? If the epicentre of the splits
is indeed England/Europe, as it seems to be on existing evidence, what event
might have led to the creation of a world with temples, goddesses, sacred
cats‹to me this world always had an Asian feel, although perhaps, as my boss
remembers, it also has shades of Ancient Egypt? (It's the cats! ‹it's a long
time since either of us read it and there's no copy to hand!) In either
case, the question remains.

And wasn't there a weird world with mermaids or sirens or something that CC
visits? Not all of them are recognisable versions of "our" western/European
world, are they?

Judith Ridge
Editorial Staff
The School Magazine